But now there are two dmg package files that do most of the work for you. And, it installs in /usr/local with a dynamic link to mysql--just like it's supposed to be. The only steps left were to remove the anonymous users, supply the root and admin passwords and reboot to start the service. Easy.
Next was NetBeans 6.9. I have been using 6.8 for a few projects, and have loved the support for groovy and especially grails, but I have held off upgrading while in full development mode. But now, with a new grails project in it's infant stages, I decided to make the move.
Installation was easy. I did have to manually replace the 6.8 item with 6.9 on my doc, but other than that all went easy. It found my current projects and I was able to run unit tests from within the IDE. Once again, easy.