Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Grails 1.3.4, Groovy 7 and NetBeans 6.8

After about a year of doing nothing but Adobe Action Script projects, I'm finally back to a java/groovy/grails project. So, I downloaded the latest grails and fired up my version of NetBeans (6.8) and generated some code. Here's what I discovered...

First, NetBeans is very groovy/grails friendly. I was able to generate the project inside the IDE. I then dropped to the command line to generate domain classes and tests. I was able to run the full test suite inside the IDE, but I still prefer the command line.

I noticed that the generated code doesn't include an ant script, but just as well. I'm so sick of the XML crap, and the grails command line does everything you need, so...

Next step is to generate controllers, and maybe a few views, but I usually use grails as a JSON or XML server with a Flex/Action Script UI. I'm also creating all the unit tests as I go and running them from inside the IDE and from the command line.

Next post will discuss the controllers and any problems related to getting the application into production. So far everything works as advertised--better than previous versions, and very productive. My new best friend...

1 comment: