Thursday, September 23, 2010

Easy Mac Installs--MySQL & NetBeans

I just went through two very easy installs on my new mac; the first, MySQL 5.1.5. A few years ago, when I installed on my old mac it was the typical tar ball install that linux users are familiar with. Not bad, especially if you have a canned script to remind you of all the steps.

But now there are two dmg package files that do most of the work for you. And, it installs in /usr/local with a dynamic link to mysql--just like it's supposed to be. The only steps left were to remove the anonymous users, supply the root and admin passwords and reboot to start the service. Easy.

Next was NetBeans 6.9. I have been using 6.8 for a few projects, and have loved the support for groovy and especially grails, but I have held off upgrading while in full development mode. But now, with a new grails project in it's infant stages, I decided to make the move.

Installation was easy. I did have to manually replace the 6.8 item with 6.9 on my doc, but other than that all went easy. It found my current projects and I was able to run unit tests from within the IDE. Once again, easy.

Happy coding...

No comments: